How to apply for Burnaby South Honours & Advanced Placement (AP) courses
At Burnaby South, we have honours courses beginning at the grade 8 level and increasing until students can take Advanced Placement (AP) courses in their senior years. Students interested in applying for Honours and AP courses in any of these areas must demonstrate good work habits, a passion for learning, and a desire to pursue enrichment opportunities. To apply, please select the Honours or AP course in your Student MyEd Portal. Current South students will then be evaluated by subject specific teachers to determine placement for the following school year using their current academic achievement, work habits, and engagement level in the related subject area. (For example, if you are applying to Math 9 Honours, we will look at your current achievement in Math 8 or Math 8 Honours.)
Some of these courses may require additional tasks or assessment. Below is a list of additional requirements for specific Honours courses.
English 8 Honours:
* Incoming Grade 7 students must write the English 8 Honours Entrance Assessment in April (see Grade 8 Honours info website for more information)
English 9 Honours, English 10 Literary Studies & Composition Honours, English 11 Literary Studies Honours, AP English Literature and Composition 12:
* students will write an English Honours assessment in March
Math 8 Honours:
* Incoming Grade 7 students must write the Math 8 Honours Entrance Assessment in April (see Grade 8 Honours info website for more information)
Math 9 Honours:
* students will complete the Math Honours 9 assessment in March with their current math teacher during their regular math class.
* the exam will have 15 written questions and mathematical formulas will be provided on a formula sheet (they formulas will cover perimeter, volume, and surface area for various geometric shapes and objects)
- Calculators are allowed
- Students should be familiar with topics covered in Grade 8 math including:
Simplifying expressions using the order of operations.
Calculating surface area and volume of 3D composite shapes.
Solving questions involving ratio, rate, and percentage.
Solving questions using the Pythagorean theorem.
Solving linear equations.
Foundations Pre-Calculus 10 & 11 Honours, Pre-Calculus 12 Honours:
* students are highly encouraged to sign up and write the Pascal, Cayley or Fermat math contest held in February
* students are also highly encouraged to attend the CNML math contests that happen once a month beginning in October and ending in March. These contests are held every 2nd Tuesday of the month at Lunch time in Rooms A207, A208 and A209.
Science 8 Honours:
* Incoming Grade 7 students must write the Science 8 Honours Entrance Assessment in April (see Grade 8 Honours info website for more information)
Science 9 Honours and Science 10 Honours/Life Sciences 11 Honours:
* students will complete the Science Honours assessment in March
- Students who are accepted into Science 10/ Life Science 11 Honours and are currently enrolled in Science 9 will have to complete Science 10 in Summer School to maintain their placement in Science 10/ Life Science 11 Honours for September
Socials 8 Honours:
* Incoming Grade 7 students must write the Social Studies 8 Honours Entrance Assessment in April (see Grade 8 Honours info website for more information)
Socials 9 Honours and Socials 10 Honours:
* students will complete the Social Studies Honours application form available from your current Social Studies teacher in December. The forms will be due in early February and need to be handed into the Social Studies Department Head.